Sunday, July 13, 2008

Adiós Costa Rica :(


Well, it´s just about time for me to hop on a jet plane outta this country. I am sad to see it go. It´s such a lovely country with many extemes. The extreme green gorgeousness that fills the fields in contrast to the dirty, ugly big city of San José. There are the extremely poor people living in shacks along a polluted river compared to the rich houses that surround our hotel. It´s sad to see these, but I know this isn´t the only country with these problems. I just hope tourism doesn´t destroy the beautiful flora & fauna that makes this country a dreamy place to visit.

I have learned a few things on this trip, such as...
1) to book the hotel shuttle so I don´t have to ride in a crazy taxi in the pouring rain
2) even though it´s summer, wear warm clothes
3) because it´s the rainy season, always carry an umbrella
4) have extra batteries in pocket so I don´t have to dig through my bag to find them & scare off all the butterflies that had landed on me
5) just like in Europe, don´t forget to pack a washcloth
6) gallo pinto is served (and eaten) breakfast, lunch & dinner
7) teachers are worse than kids when on a tour bus
8) I really didn´t need to change my dollars to colones...everyone takes dollars here
9) don´t go to sessions put on by professors....SNOOZERS when all they do is READ their papers!
10) don´t bury yourself in the back of a crazy city bus unless you have an escape rout
11) always have an escape route
12) watch out for the crazy old man with the ox & cart who you have to tip to take a picture - he´s just a dirty old man
13) don´t forget to save $26 for airport tax...yes, I have to PAY to leave this country! (Imagine if America did that....adiós debt...hello more crazies staying!)

Well, must jet...literally!! The airport shuttle is leaving in 15 minutos and then I´ll have to stand in line to pay my taxes!!

**steph :)

No comments: