Friday, June 3, 2011

Cali :)

So May took me on a whirlwind Memorial Day weekend in Southern California.

The day started out cloudy, but eventually the clouds blew away and it turned into a gorgeous SoCal day. We hit Pacific Beach & Ocean Beach. Had to put my toes in the Pacific - a bit chilly, but had to do it. It was amazing how much seaweed was washed up on shore...uck.

We headed over to Coronado Island - what a view of the harbor!

What a nice, chill island - I could easily see myself staying here for a week and just relaxing. Had to stop at Hotel del Coronado, made famous in 'Some Like it Hot' - lucky didn't see any ghosts while we were there. I can see why it's one of the Top Ten Resorts in the World - a-ma-zing!

Next stop was Balboa Park - loved the Spanish feel to this place! There were even flamenco dancers in the bandshell. As you can see, the weather was gorgeous!

Topped off the day with dinner at Coyote Cantina - nothing like a Trio of Tacos (carne asada, fish, & a potato) and a Corona to end a great day in SD!

Day 2 took me north to LA & Hollywood!!!

You knew I'd have to have lunch here...and get a shirt!! :)

Had to check out the stars as well as the footprints/handprints near Grauman's Chinese Theater.

After a drive thru Beverly Hills & Rodeo Drive, next stop was Santa Monica Pier & Beach. It was packed! Lots of people on the Pier.


Last beach stop of the day was Laguna Beach - a very peaceful, calm beach front town. Sadly, you could still see some of the damage from the December floods that flooded the downtown area.
On my last day in Southern Cali, I got to see La Jolla & the beach front. Typically, this cove is covered in seals...covered...but sadly they let people down on the beach and the seals were sparse.
Just a gorgeous day in La Jolla. What a beautiful boardwalk...sigh...

Was delayed landing in Denver due to high winds. Then, boarded 45 min late since we didn't have a crew and then had to get extra fuel to fly around a storm on our way to Moline. Below is my front row seat of the Lightening Show I had on the way home...

What a great, whirlwind of a weekend in Southern Cali! Was good to explore some places in my own country (since I get harassed about that quite often). I can check it off my list. :) Next up is my big European trip with kids - sooooo excited!

No comments: