Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pere Lachaise


So, when you last heard from me, I was on my way out to Pere Lachaise, a cemetary with lots of famous people, like Marcel Marceau, Chopin, Pissarro, Rothschild, Seurat, Oscar Wilde and even Jim Morrison from the doors. It's not a cemetery like we know, it's a bunch of crypts built up - so ornate...quite impressive... yet a tad spooky. Didn't think it was wise that the single girl was wandering the cemetery alone on a cloudy day, especially after all the run-ins at the Eiffel Tower. Plus, this guy/kid popped up behind me as I was looking at the map and creeped me out. So, decided to make quick work. Would find just a couple "big namers" and then get out of dodge. I found Chopin on my way to Jim Morrison's. Had a little trouble finding his - there were a couple of creepy guys in the vicinity that kept appearing & reappearing. But, once I turned the corner and saw a couple of people a row or two back, and then saw a guard, I knew I had found it! Paid my respects, took a pic and was outta there. Did not pass go. Did not collect $200... although I saw a crypt for the Adams family, so had to take a pic of that! :)
I think the kids would like it - maybe I'll make a scavenger hunt activity with it...hmmm....
After a quick stop at the supermercado for dinner, walked in just in time for the 21-gun salute and President Obama's speech. It was ALL over the news, newspapers, magazines, etc... in Europe as well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hola Señorita
Mi Destino Eres Tú era muy interesante hoy y ayer. Me encanta todo los argumentos diferentes. Yo nunca oí sobre el cementerio Pere Lachaise. ¿Esto es el cementerio de Napoleón? Espero que un día viajaré a Paris. Hay mucho histórico y museos interesantes. No sé sobre nada aparte de Paris pero suena magnifico. Cuando tú vuelves espero que tengas cuentos interesantes para la clase.

Felicidad said...

Querida Señorita,
Yo estoy animada que tú puedes ver todos estes lugares interesantes en Paris. El cementerio parece ser muy interesante con muchas personas famosas- pero los nombres que tú menciona, yo no reconozco mucho de los nombres. Lo siento que había "creepers" en el cementerio.Quizás tú necesitas llevar salpique rocío (pepper spray) contigo. Ten un viaje a casa bueno.