Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Sadly, my time has come. A return to reality. Every time I'm in an airport it's either to embark on a new adventure, or to return to life as I know it. Was VERY lucky when I caught the metro/RER this morning since there wasn't any rush-hour craziness. Caught all my trains out to the airport - took me 75 minutes to get out. Had a couple scams going on the trains. These two moms, separate trains, both brought their kids along, put a little note on the seat opposite me. It was in French, so I had no idea what it said, but could deduce that they wanted money. Sadly you just have to ignore those people and not encourage them. On the train to the airport was a saxophone player who was good, but his first song was Tequila from PeeWee Herman's Playhouse - not a good opener, buddy! Got checked in real fast and then let the waiting begin. Seems like travel is a bunch of hurry-up-and-wait time.
Flight was NOT full at all - took the very last seat so no one was behind me and no one in front of me. Movies were lame: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants & Water Horse. Flight home was 9+ hrs, but since we left Paris early (miracle!), we had to do a u-turn once we hit Lake Michigan and stall until we got a landing time.
Then, so more hurry-up-and-wait time in Chicago after transfering terminals. Of course the Moline flight was delayed - had to de-ice the plane. Kind of an important thing to do, so I guess I can wait a few more minutos.
Boy is it cold back home! You know it's cold out when you can see your breath on the gangplank to the airplane.
But, yes, I am home safe & sound, luggage and everything. Car started right up - yeah! Didn't sleep on the big flight over - am semi-tired now, but should be since my body should think it's 5:50 a.m..... yikes!!
It was an amazing journey filled with such great places and sites, but more importantly it's the people who make your journey worthwhile. My presentation, from what I'm told, went extremely well and hopefully I've had a positive impact on another GL who will be able to impact their kids positively and share the world with them.
Thanks for all you prayers and comments on this whirlwind of a week....now it's back to reality... and a bunch of papers on my desk!!
Au revoir!!

1 comment:

Catalina said...

¡Señorita! ¿Estás feliz ser en Iowa? Jaja.
Las cartas en los trenes--qué triste. Pero, imaginaría que experimentas esto mucho cuando viajas.

Y, todos los papeles en su escritorio...no los necesitas--hay una basura muy cerca de su escritorio =)
...en vez de corejir los papeles, necesitamos jugar "scattegories" o tomar siestas, o MIRAR MI DESTINO--nosotros queremos saber lo que Magda hizo al perro!

Hasta hasta.