Monday, January 19, 2009

PARIS!!!!!!!!

Whew - finally made it... and what an adventure it's been, even just trying to get here. Got a blizzard, basically, the night before I left. Was unsure if flight would go on time, so decided to rent an ACT II limo/van and just drive to Chicago. Roads were okay, but there was one spot that, within a 2 mile span, 5 semis were jack-knifed. Luckily made it - no problema, off to Paris I go. My American flight was real empty so got a whole row to myself. Caught a cab to the hotel - was over $50 - yikes. Hotel is very nice, just not in center city. In Europe you either have a nicer hotel, just far out of town or you have great location, just not all the extras. Was too early to check in, so I met up with some EF staff, Lindsey & Matt and find out the other experienced Group Leader missed our Chicago flight and would be in later.
Once everyone got in, we had our staff meeting. There are 2 of us experienced GL's: me & Bob. He's amazing. If ya'll think I'm a world traveler, this guy beats me hands down, so that should tell you lots. He's the nicest, humblest guy I know. There are 4 EF staff here: Lindsey, Matt (who knows my future bro-in-law....small world), Rachel & Milena. We all bond together great , and along with our guide/tour director, Antonio, we have dinner with the other buses.
This is what they call Paris Orientation. They bring over GL's who are planning trips and have never taken students on a tour. Our whole bus are those who aren't traveling until 2010 - early planners.
All the newbies arrived on Friday with their scattered arrival times. I get to be meet & greet with Bob in the lobby. We go to the Louvre once they are all there and got to see Mona Lisa, the Nike/Winged Goddess, Venus de Milo...and much more. Had some free time to shop, grab lunch & wander.
Saturday was our 'convention day' when I had to do my presentation. Was very nervous because Bob is the man at these conventions and since this was my first one, I was very intimidated. I held my own, did my presentation through the eyes of my kids and gave them tips on how to stay organized on tour. It went well - lots of positive feedback. No time for questions, but that's already been going on all tour. Have constantly been bombarded with question almost non stop, but love every minute of it cuz if it helps them have a successful tour and give those kids a trip of a lifetime, then it'll have been all worth it!!!

No comments: