Friday, June 1, 2012

Madrid!! ¡Viva España!



Another day in paradise!  I was fortunate to spend 5 glorious days in Madrid at the end of March.  Not sure if you can tell from the photo above, but my feet were happy to be home!!  :)



There was a bit of craziness while I was there as there was a HUGE union strike.  We expected the worst - everything closed, travel disrupted all day...not so much.  They didn't even get this huge strike going until 6 pm...typical Spaniards.  It was quite peaceful...and fascinating to watch.


I did get to see some new stuff... I know, hard to believe with the amount of times I've been to Madrid, but it's true.  I got to see the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace.  While it has NOTHING on how Betty does it in London, it was fascinating to watch.


Another place I love to hang out is at El  Retiro Park... so peaceful....so green...lots of scultpures, monuments, walking paths, gardens, flowers, and Retiro Pond, where, if adventurous, you can rent a row boat and row around the pond...or just walk around it and enjoy a Bueno Bar!!



Cedric is always up for a tour around town - the Plaza Mayor is such a fascinating place for its architecture, designs, and definitely for people watching!!  Mix in some tapas and sangria and you've got yourself a great evening!

Met some amazing people on my trip - these two:  Daniele & Brian, made great sweepers with me, making sure no one wandered off, got lost, and stuck with the group...my two 'psychics'....or was that sidekicks?? lol :)

Ah, home sweet home...now just to find my prince for my palace....




We took a side trip south to the enchanting town of Toledo - this place never gets old with it's winding, narrow, cobblestone streets...it feels like you've gone back in time...heavenly.



One of the best parts of Toledo is this man, Fernando, a local guide who is unforgettable.  He took our group of "VIP's" around his town, showing us the spectacular cathedral and then over to the sword factory.  The kids love Fernando as he can relate to kids & adults alike.

Finally found my Knight in Shining Armor!!!  Yeah!!




Our last evening was filled with much frivolity of everything Spanish:  Tapas with a tuna band who serenaded us.  Love the free-flowing sangria!!  Follow this with churros y chocolate at San Gines...ahhh...heaven!

Of course Flamenco dancing had to be involved as well!!  Not by me, that's for sure, just the experts!



Rockin' Red Bus:  Daniele, Debbie, Emily, me, Carmen, Sue, Brian


Another great weekend spent with some amazing people in one of my most favorite cities in Europe!  Since I'll be back in June with kids, it was nice to have some time to myself in 'my' city.  Can't wait to show the kids what this place is all about!

Until then....
~steph :)

No comments: