Friday, November 12, 2010

Another gorgeous day in Roma...

It was another gorgeous day in Roma today... sigh... and after hearing what the weather's like at home, I'd prefer to stay here... not ready for winter!

We had our Orientation presentation today which went quite well. We then quickly changed clothes & headed into town for a free afternoon.



As you see in the above photo, barely a cloud in the sky... 65 degrees maybe... perfect! We walked all the over the place... strolled is maybe a better descriptor.

Had to have gelatto... I've been here 3 days and this is my first gelatto - that's not right!! It was quite yummy! I had a scoop of Kinder (a kind of candy) and mint - delicious! Jen had Nutella (I think). We continued on our walk and headed to the 'Bone Church."

Yes, those are all bones/skulls used as decoration of the chapel. btw... this is an illegal picture since there is not to be any photos, but I couldn't resist and words could not do this justice. I couldn't get a pic of the bone chandeleire... craziness!!

We then hiked around the corner on a lovely tree-lined street that reminded me of Paris and found the Hard Rock! Yes, I'm a HRC tshirt junkee!! But apparently since I was soooo focused on the HRC, we missed the American Embassy across the street! lol

Lastly we ended on the Spanish steps. Here's a photo of part of the staff on our RED bus: Stephanie, Bob, Kathy, me & Jen. It was gorgeous there at night. We wandered back, met up with the rest of the staff. Had a fabulous meal at this waaaaay of the beaten path restaurant that only has seating at 8 & 9:30. Had fried artichoke, wonderful homemade pesto pasta & lamb... sigh... course had some lovely red wine. We then met up with the other Group Leaders at the Irish Bar appropriately named Trinity College and topped it all off with a Guinness... yeah!
Tomorrow is a HUGE day for us. Vatican, Sistene Chapel, Colusseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps... a bunch more places I won't remember their names... then a night tour of this amazing city. Can't wait to bring the kids here in June!
Stay warm, my Iowa friends! I'll try to smuggle some amazing weather back with me!
Hugs ~ steph :)

No comments: